Skip to main content

Mindfulness before Pliés?

It's a strange time for all of us, but personally COVID-19 couldn’t have come at a better time.

As disappointing as it is that all my classes for March and April were cancelled, I have the opportunity to use this time in isolation, apart from giving virtual ballet classes, to reflect on my teaching method and philosophy. The intention of my writing is not so much to provide information, rather a way to reflect and question myself in order to improve my skills as an educator as well as a person. A lot of what I write is based on my own opinion, and on what I have experienced so far on this new journey as a dance teacher. So here goes nothing.




Mindfulness

You will find a multitude of information online about mindfulness, as well as different mindfulness tasks and practices, so I’m not going to use this blog post to describe what it is. I will, however, attach some links at the end of the article.

I first discovered mindfulness in 2018, while I was in-between jobs when I was still working as a freelance dancer. My sister, Caroline, and her boyfriend, Dave, had done a 10-Day silent Vipassana meditation retreat in Thailand, (which you can read about here) and their account of the experience intrigued me. I had always wanted to learn how to meditate ‘properly’, so I signed up for my own 10-Day retreat in Germany (there are Vipassana centers all over the world). It turned out to be one of the most challenging things I had ever done in my life, mostly because I had gone into it without much research or preparation, but I did come out of it with a whole new sense of myself and the world around me.  

After this experience, mindfulness and meditation became a constant practice, and it wasn’t long before I started to notice the benefits:

  1. It was easier to distance myself from my emotions and cravings
  2. I found it easier to navigate stress and anxiety
  3. I didn’t get sick as often, and even if I did, I recovered much quicker
  4. I had more empathy (I’m usually not a people person)
  5. I became more patient and tolerant
  6. I was less judgemental towards myself and other people

It certainly didn’t eradicate all of my problems, but it did allow me the space to decide how to respond to them. I suddenly became really fascinated with how the mind works in response to meditation and I started delving into books on spirituality, mindset, body-mind connection and neuroscience, which led me to wonder if my dance career would have been easier with this deeper understanding of my own emotions. I did spend 6 months working on a cruise ship, which I had done out of curiosity and I truly believe that meditation was the thing that helped me get through it. Though some might see it as a dream job, it really wasn’t my cup of tea. An extended period of time on a floating hotel does strange things to people, and there were moments I seriously considered abandoning ship. 


How I Use It

When I decided that I wanted to be a dance teacher, I knew that I had to bring mindfulness into my teaching philosophy. Why not share this tool that I have reaped so many rewards from? Looking back on my dance career, I feel like I gained a lot of body awareness with techniques such as Feldenkrais, ideokenisis, Franklin method and Gaga, but in terms of dealing with my emotions I was a bit of a wreck. Having battled depression for almost a decade, I became really good at putting on a brave, happy face and just getting on with it. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone, even the people I dislike, so how could I use these mindfulness tools to help dancers now? 

Although meditation has become very popular these days, it still isn’t something that everyone is open to. I needed to find an apporach and make it simple and effective. Through some trial and error, mostly with the dancers of Tanzcompagnie Gießen (sorry guys) I developed a concise routine at the beginning of my class, which usually takes around five to ten minutes in three simple steps: Observation, Visualisation and Compassion.


Observation

I start by getting the dancers to pay attention their breaths, then moving on to sensations in their bodies and also to their own emotional state or mood, reminding them that every single breath, sensation and emotion is only temporary. It’s also important for them to observe these things without any judgement.

 Why is observation important? It’s difficult to assess any situation without fully understanding it, and our reactions and decisions will be based on a very primal and emotional instinct. Once we can see a situation (either physical or emotional) clearly, we can start to make decisions on how to respond. It’s also important to understand the present moment, since our minds usually live in the past or the future, and our understanding of the now will influence our decisions for the next moment.

Visualisation

The next step is to visualise themselves at the end of class, or the end of the day and decide how they want to feel. I ask them to try to feel it in their bodies and emotions and to already experience that state of mind and being. 

Why is visualisation important? First of all, it gives us clear intentions or at least primes our mind for what we would like the situation to be. How many of us set conscious intentions for the day? Now that we have understood what our condition is through observation, we can make the decision to move into our day to acheive what we want. I know that a lot of athletes use this method, so why should it not work for our emotional state as well?

Compassion

The last step, my favourite, is to get them to hug at least five people in the room (depending on the size of the company or class), and although it sounds very hippy, I notice that once the dancers start doing it, it’s hard to get them to stop!

Why is compassion important? It’s been proven that hugs reduce stress, produces ‘happy’ chemicals like dopamine and oxytocin, reduces pain and the production of cortisol and adrenaline, accelerates healing and strengthens bonds between people. There is enough hate and animosity in the world, and we could all certainly do with more hugs.


None of these steps are new things, but I have found them to be quite effective. It’s hard to say if this has had any real effect on the dancers, but the response has mostly been very positive and most people seem to be open to try it. I would be really interested to see if there would be any significant changes if this practice would be done long-term, both individually and as a group.


A Sceptic's View on Mindfulness

Maria Adriana Dornio, currently a dancer with Tanzcompagnie Giessen, is one of my favourite people to watch. It is such a joy to see her move because it is so evident how much she understands her body and what she can do with it. However, during this mindfulness segment of my class I often noticed her discomfort, and sometimes distress. Like I mentioned before, this approach of thinking and working isn’t for everyone, so I thought I would get her opinion on it to broaden my own understanding, and perhaps shed some light on how I could make mindfulness more approachable. The interview with this young, insightful woman surprised me to say the least. Here is a short summary of our hour-long discussion on mindfulness:

Me: What are your honest thoughts about my mindfulness exercises?

Adriana: At first I didn’t understand it, so I just wanted to get through the exercises so we could start moving. When you first asked us to observe the breath, I started to panic because I always think there’s something wrong with my breathing, which is a problem I have always had. Now I’m starting to understand it better, but it’s still not my favourite part of your class.

Me: How would you describe your personal expeience?

Adriana: It’s an opportunity to take the time for ourselves, because usually when we first come into the studio, we carry our problems and our worries with us, and all the things that are already going on in our brains since the beginning of the day. I can use these five minutes to analyze how I really feel at that point in time. If I’m feeling pissed off or whatever, I know it’s not going to change in the next moment because that is just the way I feel. Yet, some days I thought I was in a bad mood in the beginning, but then I realised that I could let it go and move on from there. It’s definitely helpful to understand your mood, because we are usually not even aware how we are feeling and why we are feeling it. It’s a tool, but you need to know how to use it and try it out for yourself. It can be annoying, because it’s not part of the usual routine of company class, but I think if you want to be an artist, it’s important to know what’s going on in your mind.

Me: Did it give you the space to decide what to do next? 

Adriana: Yes, I had the time to notice if I had the energy or capacity to accept or change my mood, if it’s worth it to stay in that state, or if it could be changed or let go of. It’s never the same. There are days you feel great, and there are others where you feel like you want or have to control it.


Me: Could you imagine having a consistent meditation/mindfulness practice?

Adriana: I feel like I do desire to acheive a peaceful and calm state, as I am a naturally nervous, hyperactive and anxious person based on my genetics and upbringing. The affects I see on people who meditate are those that I want for myself, but I just can’t identify myself with this approach. I’m not willing enough to go deep into my mind, and allow all the bad thoughts to surface, which is what happens when I close my eyes and try to find some quietness. It’s also time that I don’t feel like I want to invest in right now

It’s rare to find people who generate such a peaceful energy. I would even say it’s frustrating and scary how just watching a calm and peaceful person like you starts to influence me, especially for an over-thinkier like myself. You get a sense that you lose control. I feel that people who meditate have another level of tolerance, which is great for them!


Me: Is mindfulness/meditation for everyone?

Adriana: No. But everyone should find their own ‘method’ of meditation. Painting, cooking or even smoking a joint, whatever it is that helps. Whatever helps you to find peace, and be in a different level of awareness or in a state of flow.

Me: Was it easy to be non-judgemental?

Adriana: It’s impossible. It’s had not to identify ourselves with whatever we are feeling, and to try to control everything. We are all victims of our emotions, and learing how to not judge it will probably help us deal with them, but I doubt that anyone can actually fully acheive that. 


Conclusion

So if a sceptic could find some benefits through practicing mindfulness, even in a small way, should it be something we should incorporate into dance training? I believe we are more than just bodies that move through space, looking graceful and ethereal. We should not forget that we are human, and that our emotions and feelings play a big part in how we develop as dancers and people. Should this not be equally important?

Would you be willing to add a mindfulness practice to your day? Or to pass it on to your students? Let me know in the comments below!

Here are some links to mindfulness:


Vipassana:


Why hugs are good for you:


Stay safe and healthy everyone!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A note to my younger self on resilience

"If your heart is broken, make art with the pieces." - Shane Koyczan I was meant to give an online lecture this month to the students of a private dance school on developing resilience for a dance career. It doesn't look like this is happening anymore, but I thought it would be a good topic for a blog post.  On the reality TV show RuPaul's Drag Race, usually in the second last episode, RuPaul would ask the semi-finalists what they would say to their younger selves. I hate to admit it, but this part always made me wipe away a tear or two. It also made me proud to be able to call myself an artist and to be part of this wonderful industry. I took this as inspiration for this post, instead of a factual essay on what resilience is and how to get more of it. I will put a few links to some great TED talks at the end, in case you're interested. Here is something I wish someone had written to me before I left for my first European audition tour in 2008, but in a way I'

What I Learned on My First Job

As soon as I let go of my desperation, I got what I wanted handed to me.  I've been obsessively looking for work as a choreographic assistant for a while, but nothing had worked out yet. My husband and I decided to leave the small town we were living in and move to Frankfurt. The energy seems to be working more in my favour, because I have been blessed with many teaching opportunities since moving here, as well as my very first assisting job!  The choreographers, whom I have known and worked with for many years, managed to get enough funding for a production to hire an assistant, with the rehearsals and premiere in Frankfurt. Coincidence? We had always worked well together as dancers and choreographers, but being a rehearsal assistant is a completely different story.  It has been a rewarding and eye-opening experience and I am so grateful to have finally gotten my first taste of this position.  Z Zentrum, Frankfurt It's my current life's mission to understand how I can supp